The 9th Annual Robert Bruss Real Estate Book Awards will have details coming soon.
The 8th Book Awards is over; Deadline: April 15, 2015 for books published in 2014
Information for the 8th Annual Competition is below.
Gold, Silver, and Bronze Awards plus
First-time Author Award
Click Here for 8th Annual Bruss Award Entry Form (pdf)
For books published in 2014
NAREE's Book Awards are named for the late Bob Bruss, syndicated real estate columnist, prolific writer, and longtime NAREE leader and mentor who enjoyed reviewing real estate books and was instrumental in building association membership for many years.
The awards program was created to recognize the excellence manifested in the work of real estate authors on an annual basis. Books focusing on the broad field of real estate including mortgage finance; home buying and selling; the business of real estate, government housing policy, green building, urban design, investing, architecture, and construction are expected among myriad other topics.
The awards program is being funded by grants from NAREE members, Leigh and Ivy Robinson of Express Publishing and Brad Inman of Inman News; and in kind donations from the NAREE Board of Directors and Past Presidents.
Founded in 1929, NAREE has sponsored its prestigious annual Real Estate Journalism Competition for 63 years. NAREE also has offered the mid-career NAREE Bivins Fellowship for the past eight years.
1) The book must be published in English and have been released for sale during 2014.
2) The book must fit into the “real estate book” category as determined by NAREE.
Books may be 'E Books' of book length.
3) Some or all of the book may have been published previously as magazine or newspaper articles or as website content.
Same title may not be submitted more than once.
4) The competition is open to all real estate authors regardless of NAREE membership.
Submissions must be postmarked by April 15, 2015, and received no later than April 20, 2015, and should include:
1) Three copies of either the pre-publication version or the publication version of the entire book or E Book CD.
2) Three copies of a maximum of 5,000 words selected from the book by its author, editor, or publisher as representative of the book as a whole. (Please select a key chapter or two.)
3) Application form and entry fee.
Entry fees are $100 for NAREE (2015 dues paid ) current members, and $125 for non-members. Join NAREE - CLICK HERE.
Without at least five submissions for a year’s awards, no awards will be given that year. No submissions will be returned.
The entire book and the selection of 5,000 words from the book will be sent to a panel(s) of three qualified judges. Judges may read only the 5,000 words or the entire book. Judges score each book on the following five attributes using a scale of 1-100:
• Originality• Readability• Accuracy• Coverage of subject• Scholarship• Design
Highest three accumulated scores win, plus a fourth award will be given for the Best First-time Author.
Each winner is to receive a certificate and cash award as follows:
First-time Author: $250
The Bruss Awards presentation will be a highlight of the Annual NAREE Spring conference, June, 2015, which will be in Miami, Florida.
Link to winners of 2008 Bruss Book Awards
Link to winners of 2009 Bruss Book Awards
Link to winners of 2010 Bruss Book Awards
Link to winners of 2011 Bruss Book Awards
Link to winners of 2012 Bruss Book Awards
The Bruss Awards presentation is only one of the significant events that will be occurring at the NAREE Spring Conference. The conference will feature newsworthy panels, interesting field trips and outstanding networking and professional development opportunities.
Those not present will be mailed awards. Award winners will be posted on www.naree.org and in the NAREE News after the awards banquet.