Founded in 1929, NAREE is a non profit association of real estate writers, editors, columnists, authors and communicators more than 600 members worldwide. The association meets in different US cities three times per year.
In the Winter, NAREE members gather for a Design Trends Snapshot and/or Networking Reception usually during the National Association of Home Builders "International Builders Show."
In the late Spring/early Summer, members meet for NAREE's Annual Spring Conference. NAREE leaders put together panels of newsmakers and trend setters to discuss issues of the day and to answer reporter questions on breaking stories. NAREE University professional development sessions and area real estate project tours are also scheduled. NAREE's Annual Real Estate Journalism Conference also includes "NAREE's Meet the Press," a one-on-one opportunity for freelance writers, columnists, and publicists to take part in a mini press tour -- visiting with up to a dozen of the nation's leading real estate journalists gathered under one roof. The association also presents awards to the winners of the Annual Real Estate Journalism Competition and the Bruss Book Competition.
In the Fall, members gather for the Fall Summit and Installation of Officers and Awards Dinner. The President's Awards for Outstanding Leadership Service are presented. The Fall Summit is usually held as members gather the National Association of Realtors Convention.
NAREE strives to maintain a presence at other industry meetings including the Urban Land Institute as volunteer time allows.
Please continue to scroll down or pull down the tabs at the top of the naree.org home page for information on how to join and for information on specific programs.
• Additional NAREE Honors
- NAREE Lifetime Achievement Award - Board members may nominate candidates, not always annually, who are career real estate journalists who have fostered the profession through outstanding achievement as real estate writers, reporters, columnists and/or editors coupled with exceptional, professional and personal leadership service in advancing the field. NAREE 2017-18 President Dion Haynes, Washington Post Real Estate Editor initiated the award in 2017. NAREE's inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to columnist Ken Harney of the Washington Post Writers Group in November of 2017. Ken served as NAREE's 2008 president, co-chaired NAREE's 2005 DC conference, chaired NAREE's 2009 DC conference, is a frequent conference advisor and moderator and has also mentored many NAREE members over the years. Ken has won more than two dozen NAREE Journalism Competition Awards, written two real estate books, and hosted a weekly real estate TV show.
- NAREE Sterling Award - Begun in 2017, NAREE's first Sterling Award was given to NAREE 2005 President, Sue Doerfler, for 25 years of continuous service to the organization. Sue worked for the Arizona Republic for more than two decades as a reporter and had her own TV show there as well. She has chaired NAREE's Meet the Press for more than 20 years and has won numerous NAREE Journalism Competition Awards.
- NAREE President's Awards - Each year NAREE's President honors outstanding NAREE volunteers for their leadership and service in appreciation for their time and expertise in assisting with NAREE's Spring Conference and myriad programs.
(full-time, working journalists only)
Active members shall have as their principal occupation independent reporting, transmitting or editing of news, features and columns about real estate and/or housing for news media independent of sponsoring organizations, advertising control, trade associations, lobby groups and are not produced in concert with real estate companies, building companies, developers, architects, land planners or any company involved in the broad field of real estate or governmental entities. (Principal occupation means more than 50 percent of their time.) Membership is open to eligible digital, print and broadcast journalists. $75.00 annual dues.
Writers, editors, columnists, bloggers, investigative reporters and freelancers -- covering the broad field of real estate including:
• Residential and Commercial Real Estate
• Mortgage and Finance
• Home and Urban Design
• Luxury, Green Building and Architecture
(writers for special interest publications and communications professionals.)
Associate members are professional writers who do not qualify as full-time journalists for independent print or broadcast media or communications specialists who write or disseminate information for a limited audience or for real estate-relate business. $195.00 annual dues.
Writers and communicators for special interest information outlets and marketplaces and/or non-news divisions of media parent companies include:
• Writers, editors, producers, bloggers, columnists and/or content providers for trade association affiliated publications, real estate industry special interest publications and sponsoring organizations.
• Publishers, authors, columnists and bloggers and those who write for independent news outlets in the news division – part-time – as a complement to their industry-related jobs.
• Communications professionals – publicists, marketing directors and consultants who disseminate information on behalf of real estate-related business interests.
NAREE Past Presidents
2018 Dion Haynes, The Washington Post
2017 Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer
2016 Steve Brown, Dallas Morning News
2015 Shonda Novak, Austin American-Statesman
2014 Daniel Taub, Bloomberg News
2013 Kris Hudson, Wall Street Journal
2012 Harold Bubil, Sarasota Herald-Tribune
2011 Leigh Robinson, Express Publishing
2010 Lauren Beale, Los Angeles Times
2009 Holden Lewis, Bankrate.com
2008 Ken Harney, Washington Post Writers Group
2007 Lois Weiss, New York Post
2006 Al Heavens, Philadelphia Inquirer
2005 Sue Doerfler, Arizona Republic
2004 Michael Desiato, Real Estate Forum
2003 Greg Thomas, Times-Picayune
2002 Carl Larsen, San Diego Union-Tribune
2001 Dick Barnes, Los Angeles Times
2000 Earni Young, Philadelphia Daily News
(Full list dating back to 1929 is in NAREE's Annual Directory and elsewhere on this Website.)
1003 NW 6th Terrace
Boca Raton, FL 33486